1. How old must I be to participate in NSB’s Summer Intensive Program?
The Summer School is open to children from 10 to 20 years of age as of June 28, 2021. However, we also consider the application of slightly older students, attending a school year training program, and/or a professional dancer.
2. How do I audition?
NSB holds an annual audition. The audition is for students that do NOT attend NSB. You need to pre-audition onling for the scheduled time. Registration will open online January 15th, 2021.
3. What if I cannot make the scheduled audition or choose not to due to COVID19?
You may submit a video if you are unable to attend the audition or schedule an evaluation class at NSB between January and March.
4. How should the video be made?
Video Audition Requirements for NSB’s 2020 Summer Intensive Program:
• Open video with name, age, current ballet school, city, state and country
• A copy of the candidate’s passport OR birth certificate
• A headshot *professional photographs are not necessary
• Two photos in ballet clothing: first arabesque and tendu (À la seconde)
• A short description of the student’s training
• An audition video recorded during class :
At the barre: pliés, tendus, ronds de jambe, fondus, ronds de jambe en l’air and grand battements. - In center: adagio, tendus, pirouettes, petite allégro, and grand allégro, and 3 exercises en pointe for candidates who have had previous pointe work.
5. How long must the video be?
The video should not exceed 15 minutes.
6. When should I record the video?
Applicants may send an earlier video but the recording must not be over 6 months old.
7. When and how the results of the audition will be given?
Results will be sent to the email address written on the registration within two weeks of the audition.
8. Would it be possible to receive feedback on the audition video?
No, there will be no feedback on the audition video.
9. May I audition for a specific level?
No, the director will assign the appropriate level to each student.
10. Do you allow partial enrollment?
Partial enrollment is only available if the program does not fill. If there are openings, students interested will be put on a waiting list and offered the spot, if available, in May.
11. Are there picture requirements for the live audition?
There are no photo requirements. Photos will be taken on the day of the audition.
12. In case my child was to complain about stomach or headaches during the Summer School, can I give them the medication that he/she will bring to the School?
Students need a written consent form to take any medication during the day at NSB.
13. How may I pay for the Summer school?
The tuition deposit must be paid by the date given on the acceptance letter, the remainder of the tuition must be paid before the start of the program and is non-refundable.The paid tuition confirms your child’s participation in the program.
14. Are there any scholarships or financial support system available?
Successful candidates may apply for financial aid after they have confirmed their participation. Please note that we don’t offer full scholarships.
15. How may I know my child’s schedule?
The schedule is posted on NSB’s website. This schedule is subject to change. You will be emailed a complete schedule by level a few weeks before the beginning of the Summer Intensive.
16. Will there be time for lunch?
Yes, NSB has scheduled breaks for lunch for each level.
17. Are the studio's air-conditioned?
Yes, each studio has air conditioning and fans.
18. What are the COVID19 protocols for the summer program?
NSB is taking the necessary steps to provide a safe environment for all at our studios during COVID19 Pandemic.
1. The facility was professionally cleaned before the start of the program.
2. The Studio barres will be cleaned in between each class.
3. All Faculty members and students will wear masks. No one in the building will be allowed without a mask.
4. Social distancing will be practiced. Dancers in each room will be limited to no more than 12.
If you are a student please understand that ….
1. We ask you, If you have any symptoms of ANY KIND of illness, please remain home and participate, if feeling well enough, by Zoom.
2. Your temperature will be taken at the door before you enter the building. If your temperature is over 100.40 we will ask that you participate via Zoom instead of entering the building.
3. The sanitizer will be handed to you before entering the studio and at the end of your lessons.
4.. Every student should wear a mask when entering the studio and it should remain on.
5. You should not arrive any earlier than 10 minutes before class. You will need to be picked up punctually.
6. We ask parents to drop off the child to avoid much traffic in the studio. Parents will NOT be allowed in the building.
7. Please come dressed to dance and only change shoes, to avoid using bathrooms and dressing rooms. Dressing rooms and bathrooms will be available only for dancers in need to use them not for changing.
8. Each student should have a bottle of water. There is no sharing of water or food. Please eat before you arrive at the studio. If a student must eat during class time, because of a health issue, they will eat outside the facility.
19. What is a Hybrid schedule if my child is placed in a Hybrid class?
To meet the distancing requirements, enrolled students will be split into two groups if the class exceeds 12 students. The groups will alternate one week in the studio with one week Virtually with Zoom at home. Zoom attendees will participate virtually. Students will be seen and receive instruction from the faculty.
20. Will my child receive an evaluation at the end of the Summer Intensive Program?
No, your child will receive feedback during class only.
21. What will happen if my child is injured during the summer session?
If your child should become injured it is recommended that he/she should watch the class and take notes.
22. What if my child has to be absent from a class or a day of instruction?
That is expected. Simply communicate with us via email or phone so we can note the attendance sheet and inform the instructor.
23. What happens if my child starts feeling unwell during the day?
We recommend that the child excuse themselves from class, inform the registrar to contact their parent, and go home to rest.
24. Can my child leave the NSB premises during the program?
Yes, there will be a permission slip along with a sign-out sheet if your student decides to leave NSB to have lunch elsewhere.
25. How do I drop off and pick up my child?
Parents are not allowed inside the building during COVID-19. Simply pull up and drop off on the street (please do not block any driveways or pull through the school driveway) and your child may enter through the main door. Staff will greet them inside at the door.
26. Will there be a performance or demonstration at the end of the program?
There is a demonstration scheduled for the last day of the Summer Intensive for the parents of the children attending.
27. Who may I contact if I need specific information?
You may contact NSB’s registrar, Sandra McNaught, at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 781 944-9100.